NCVPS is pleased to announce Flex Learning (formerly called Mastery Learning)! This program gives schools the option to provide alternative scheduling to students in special enrollment situations. NCVPS will function as an intervention for students in these situations.
Spring 2017 Program Notes
- Flex Learning enrollment is open now for enrollment. Students will be able to work through August 11th.
- We do not suggest enrolling into EOC courses. Students must end those courses on May 26.
- Students cannot enroll into Flex during summer school. Flex Learning is currently available for spring and fall enrollments.
- Fall enrollments for Flex will happen after the NCVPS Fall 2017 registration period ends, in mid-September.
- Students who complete the course earn full credit and a final grade.
- Flex Learning courses are the full courses with no exempted material.
- Flex Learning courses are the same course code as traditional courses.
- Students have a flexible environment in which to learn with their NCVPS teacher.
- Gives schools options for students in special situations who need solutions outside the regular scheduling windows during a school year.
- Allows NCVPS to become an intervention strategy for schools with difficult student situations.
- Students who are in a course for first time credit and need another scheduling option can begin the same course in NCVPS from the NCVPS course beginning and work at their own pace to complete the course. Enrollment start date/end date are not time bound.
- An exceptional NCVPS veteran teacher will be assigned to in the Flex Learning student to teach, direct, and support.
This flexible learning programs allows students to take a first-time credit course from the beginning and work at their own pace to complete the course with their NCVPS teacher. The enrollment start date is not time bound, similar to our credit recovery courses.
In one scenario, a student needed to complete both Spanish 1 and 2 during the Fall semester. The student started Spanish 1 in August and finished course work mid-semester. Spanish 2 was started mid-semester and completed successfully in December. The student was able to earn both Spanish 1 and 2 full course credits within one semester by working one-on-one with a NCVPS Teacher.
In another scenario, a student can no longer attend school due to medical issues and the semester has already started. The student is able to continue learning in their courses through NCVPS with NCVPS courses and teachers.
Which NCVPS option is best for your student?
NCVPS provides schools with many enrollment options. Flex Learning provides yet another option so students don’t fall through the “enrollment window cracks.”
Flex Learning is not a replacement for……..
- Traditional Enrollments - If a student can start a course within the traditional start dates, this may be the best first option.
- Extension Requests - Mastery learning is not a replacement for students who need a short 3-day or our longer 2-week extension at the end of the semster.
- Transfer Students - If a student meets transfer requirements, this may be the best first option.
- Credit Recovery - If a student needs a credit recovery course, NCVPS Credit Recovery, with its flexible enrollment dates, may be the best first option.
Flex Learning is for those situations where students need a course and none of the options above work -- that’s where Flex Learning comes in!
Students work at their own pace with their NCVPS teacher. The expectations for NCVPS teachers remain the same for teacher grading, communication, and teaching. The NCVPS teacher will keep parents and students informed of student progress with weekly updates.
We are working with the flexible learning concept that has an organic element. A student may come to the course with knowledge -- our teachers can assess where that student is and only require assignments for a unit that present new learning. This is especially important for students who have already started the course but needed to move to the Flex Learning option.
When a student is enrolled into the Flex Learning course option, schools are charged the block enrollment fee of $349. If the student’s time in the course extends to another semester, the school is not charged again. After two semesters, NCVPS and the school will discuss future plans and needs for the student.
Do you think you have students that could benefit from the Flex Learning enrollment option?
Please do a quick Help Desk ticket through the Virtual Support Center; this protects student information as required by FERPA. Identify the following in your ticket:
- Identify “Flex Learning Request” in your ticket title.
- Include the student’s full name
- Include the student’s PowerSchool ID number
- Include your school name
- Identify the course needed.
- Also include any relevant details such as what is happening with the student so that Flex Learning is needed.
NCVPS will respond quickly to your ticket to see how we can best help your students!