NCVPS is pleased to announce Flex Learning (formerly called Mastery Learning)! This program gives schools the option to provide alternative scheduling to students in special enrollment situations. When requests for enrollment are submitted via the NCVPS Help Desk Center, our staff will review the request for approval. The more details that you provide will help us in approving enrollment request.
Fall enrollments for Flex are in progress now. Please put NCVPS Help Desk Ticket in for enrollment request. Schools can not enroll themselves. Each Flex Learning request is reviewed for approval by NCVPS Staff. The Flex option is NOT for schools that are on different calendar options than what NCVPS offers. It is for individual student situations for flex learning needs.
- Gives schools options for students in special situations who need solutions outside the regular scheduling windows during a school year.
- Allows NCVPS to become an intervention strategy for schools with difficult student situations.
- Students who are in a course for first time credit and need another scheduling option can begin the same course in NCVPS from the NCVPS course beginning and work at their own pace to complete the course. Enrollment start date/end date are not time bound.
- An exceptional NCVPS veteran teacher will be assigned to in the Flex Learning student to teach, direct, and support.
This flexible learning programs allows students to take a first-time credit course from the beginning and work at their own pace to complete the course with their NCVPS teacher. The enrollment start date is not time bound, similar to our credit recovery courses.
In one scenario, a student needed to complete both Spanish 1 and 2 during the Fall semester. The student started Spanish 1 in August and finished course work mid-semester. Spanish 2 was started mid-semester and completed successfully in December. The student was able to earn both Spanish 1 and 2 full course credits within one semester by working one-on-one with a NCVPS Teacher.
In another scenario, a student can no longer attend school due to medical issues and the semester has already started. The student is able to continue learning in their courses through NCVPS with NCVPS courses and teachers.
Which NCVPS option is best for your student?
NCVPS provides schools with many enrollment options. Flex Learning provides yet another option so students don’t fall through the “enrollment window cracks.”
Flex Learning is not a replacement for……..
- Traditional Enrollments - If a student can start a course within the traditional start dates, this may be the best first option.
- Extension Requests - Flex learning is not a replacement for students who need a short 3-day or our longer 2-week extension at the end of the semster.
- Transfer Students - If a student meets transfer requirements, this may be the best first option.
- Credit Recovery - If a student needs a credit recovery course, NCVPS Credit Recovery, with its flexible enrollment dates, may be the best first option.
Flex Learning is for those situations where students need a course and none of the options above work -- that’s where Flex Learning comes in!
Students work at their own pace with their NCVPS teacher. The expectations for NCVPS teachers remain the same for teacher grading, communication, and teaching. The NCVPS teacher will keep parents and students informed of student progress with weekly updates.
We are working with the flexible learning concept that has an organic element. A student may come to the course with knowledge -- our teachers can assess where that student is and only require assignments for a unit that present new learning. This is especially important for students who have already started the course but needed to move to the Flex Learning option.
When a student is enrolled in the Flex Learning course option, schools are charged the block enrollment fee of $349. Schools are responsible for how to enter data in PowerSchool and administering the required state tests. All Fall and Spring Flex Learning courses must be finished by May 31.
Do you think you have students that could benefit from the Flex Learning enrollment option?
Please do a quick Help Desk ticket through the Virtual Support Center; this protects student information as required by FERPA. Identify the following in your ticket:
- Identify “Flex Learning Request” in your ticket title.
- Include the student’s full name
- Include the student’s PowerSchool ID number
- Include your school name
- Identify the course needed.
- Also include any relevant details such as what is happening with the student so that Flex Learning is needed.
NCVPS will respond quickly to your ticket to see how we can best help your students!