The Canvas Parent App and Canvas Parent Portal
Parents, facilitators, advisors, and mentors have two ways to track student progress in Canvas. You can download the Canvas Parent app to your phone or tablet, or you can log in through the Canvas web portal on your computer.
The Canvas Parent App
Parents and facilitators will need a “pairing code” from the student’s account to connect with the student. Students must generate a separate pairing code (directions below) for each person who wants to connect to their account. This might include parents, advisors, and mentors.
The Canvas Parent app is designed to provide visibility into a student’s progress at a glance. Canvas Parent allows both parents and facilitators to:
- View course announcements
- View assignment descriptions and see due dates, point values, etc.
- Set reminders for assignments
- View assignment grades
- View grades of student they are observing and filter, view scores and dates, and print grades
- Set grade alerts
- View the calendar
- View their own personal inbox
- Send conversation messages to instructor and student they are observing
- View the dashboard
- View and read discussions
- View files (unless they are locked)
- View pages and contribute if the instructor enables the Anyone can edit it setting
- View profile pictures, if available
- View syllabus
- View outcomes
- View quizzes index page
The app does not allow parents and observers to:
- Comment on announcements or discussions
- Submit assignments or quizzes
- View course rosters
- Send conversation messages to students in the course they are not observing
- View locked files or folders
- Join groups
- View unpublished courses
App Setup Instructions
The Canvas Web Portal
Parents and facilitators can also access their students’ courses through their computer’s web browser. The setup process is similar to the Canvas Parent app. See the directions below.
Step 1: Navigate to the NCVPS login for Canvas: https://ncvps.instructure.com/login/canvas.
Step 2: Click on the “Click Here for an Account” if you are new, or log in if you already have an account.
Step 3: The process is the same here as the app. Complete all the details and get the pairing code (see above) from your student.