Our process for extension requests is changing for the Spring 2020 semester, but for Fall 2019, the process will remain the same. NCVPS will grant two-week course extensions this fall for the following reasons:
- medical (family medical reasons included)
- IEP/504 reasons (IEP modifications for extended time on assessments does not meet the requirement for course extensions)
- senior graduation issues
Extension Requests – Instructional directors will review extension requests on the following dates:
- Early Start: Dec. 9, 2019 through Dec. 18
- Traditional: Jan. 6, 2020 through Jan. 15
If large portions of the course are missing, an extension will not help the student. We will, of course, work with student situations as we get closer to the end of the semester. We want our students to be successful. What we need now is for the student to work steadily and make progress in the course.
Course extension requests must come from the principal. The principal should include the following information in the ticket to the Virtual Support Center requesting an extension:
- Student’s name
- School’s name
- Course name
- NCVPS teacher’s name
- Grade level
- Reason for extension
- The final end date being requested for the extension (within the two-week time frame)
- An ELA can open the ticket for the principal. Just be sure to include the principal’s email address in the ticket.
Spring Course Extensions
We will have a two-day extension period for Spring 2020 courses. Schools will not submit extension requests via the HelpDesk. Instead, they will work directly with the NCVPS teacher, and the teacher will grant the 2-day extension.