Welcome to our Frequently Asked Questions page for schools and districts!

E-learning advisors, data managers, district coordinators, and administrators can all find answers to their questions here.  If you can’t find the answer you are looking for, contact our Virtual Support Center.  Just click on “Open a New Ticket” and include all the important details in your question.

Access Questions

Your district coordinator can reset or create your password.  If you are the district coordinator, here’s how to do that: https://docs.google.com/a/ncpublicschools.gov/document/d/1zUVPE46woCt1mk3kruPl4rYGivjaGNKFPeMCpkdXUKM/edit?hl=en_US If you need additional help, we can only reset passwords requested from users identified in our registration system using the email address they have on file.  If you are a new ELA, please complete a help ticket with the following information: 1) School Phone Number 2) School Email Address 3) Current Position at the School Submit that information here:http://www.help.ncvps.org/
Passwords will not work until the first day of class for both early calendar and traditional calendar courses. If the student's password does not work on the first day of class, follow these steps: 1) Confirm that the student is enrolled and not waitlisted. 2) If the student is recently enrolled, remember that passwords will not work for 24 hours. 3) If the student is confirmed enrolled and it has been at least 24 hours since enrollment, then have the student submit an online ticket with our Virtual Support Center   Click on "Open a New Ticket."  The student or the E-learning Advisor can submit this ticket.  If you complete the ticket for the student, be sure to include the student’s name, school, Wise number, email address, and course that can’t be accessed. 4) If a student's password stops working anytime during the semester, have the student submit an online ticket with the Virtual Support Center.

3rd Party Vendor Questions

Yes, the Vendor Approval Process is for teacher-led, course content provided by a third party vendor. If a Vendor provides a teacher and a district uses both the content and the teacher, the course must go through the Vendor Approval Process. See details of the vendor course approval process.
Once courses are approved, a district can find a list of the Approved Courses offered by specific third party vendors by clicking Approved Vendor Courses in our menu under the Course Info tab.
No, If a district/school provides a teacher to facilitate the content delivered by the Vendor, then the Vendor does not need to seek Vendor Course Approval.

Student Support

We have some really great intervention strategies that may help you with your struggling student.
Thank you for helping to provide students with every resource. We've compiled a list of student resources that can help. The resources include:
  • Assistive Technologies for Exceptional Children
  • Attendance Policy
  • Characteristics of a Successful Online Learner
  • Peer Tutoring
  • Student Conduct
NCVPS offers a document entitled, Getting Started Checklist for Students. This document provides the general "getting started" information for our students to get a successful start and remain strong in their course throughout the semester. The checklist takes students through everything they must do to get started and be successful in the course.
Have your student contact his or her teacher to get involved with the Peer Tutoring Program. The ELA can contact the teacher, too. Click for more details.
We can grant extensions for up to two weeks.  The request must come from the principal.  This link shows the details for course extensions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19SuM24P35EP5kFrfHYY7AMw-MAKh8i8tKWI1OBShWGM/edit?usp=sharing


Follow this link to our Teach for NCVPS page . Scroll down to see the list of teacher responsibilities.
Please submit a ticket to our Virtual Support Center here:http://www.help.ncvps.org/. Be sure to include the student’s name, course title, and teacher’s name.
Submit a ticket to our Virtual Support Center here:http://www.help.ncvps.org/. Be sure to include the student’s name, course title, and teacher’s name.


The following short video gives an overview of district level access to the NCVPS Registration System.
For information on how to enroll a student, please visit the following link to see our Registration System User's Guide. Also, view our video walk-through.
A reinstatement is usually not a problem, but the NCVPS registrar needs to be involved to make sure student work is not lost or further access interruption doesn't result. Please submit a ticket to reinstate a dropped student here: http://www.help.ncvps.org/ Be sure to include the student’s name, Wise number, school, and course to be reinstated in.
You can see a list of your students taking courses by downloading an enrollment report. Here is a link that shows how to run an enrollment report. This video link explains the enrollment report.


The NCVPS Course Catalogue is posted on our website under the Courses tab.
Courses marked as Early Calendar are intended to be taken by students on an Early Calendar schedule at the local school.  Schools on this schedule can be early college high schools or school districts with a schedule waiver (usually western counties that have a large number of snow days) that begin the academic year in early August. Traditional Calendar courses are for all other schools and districts that operate on a traditional school schedule beginning in late August.
NCVPS Course codes are included in the registration system and are in the coursecatalogue.
Yes, our courses do meet NCAA standards.  You can see the approved list of NCVPS courses on the NCAA website.   Search STATE:  North Carolina, CITY: Raleigh; SCHOOLS:  North Carolina Virtual Pub Sch. If you are a school and need more information on how to document the course on a student's transcript, view the https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SDh5Itp5ftiMoQ-vC3Hipj0c9NCsj5gmbDH4uPVTRqM/edit">Quick Reference Guide (QRG)
NCVPS course information is posted on our website (www.ncvps.org) under the Courses tab or can be accessed directly from our  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rz8weICbMJg_p_6wBT8Sit8BEL2XID_c7A-5ucQOLcw/edit">Quick Reference Guide (QRG).
Our Occupational Course of Study (OCS) team has put together a great resource with a lot of information on how OCS works.  You can find that information along with contact information for our OCS team on our OCS Blended Learning page.
German classes are taught externally by Oklahoma State University (OSU) and are not available in the NCVPS learning management system.  The student(s) should have received an email from OSU with access information at the email address given in the registration system.  Please have student(s) check their email for that access information.  You can also contact OSU directly at:  1-800-423-6493 or german.online@okstate.edu  and let them know your NCVPS student can not gain access to their course.

General Knowledge

NCVPS courses begin for summer in June, fall in August and spring in January. Specific dates can be found by visiting the calendar link on the NCVPS website.
Please check out our School and District Checklist. This document walks you step-by-step through the entire semester.
The first thing you should do is review the Getting Started Guide. Contact the Virtual Support Center for more getting started help: http://www.help.ncvps.org/


If you’ve not contacted the teacher, please do that first. If you still need help, you can also submit a ticket to the Virtual Support Center here: http://www.help.ncvps.org/. Be sure to include as many details as possible in your ticket.
Check these items first: 1) OCS and credit recovery courses will not report grades. “NULL” will be displayed in the grade column. Everything for credit recovery will be in the comments section, including PASS or FAIL at the end of the term for credit recovery. 2) Students who have been dropped or withdrawn will have NULL grades. 3) We have separate grade reports for early calendar courses and traditional calendar courses. Be sure you have the correct report. If you are still missing grades, submit a ticket to the Virtual Support Center here: http://www.help.ncvps.org/
We have a Quick Reference Guide (QRG) that gives a good overview of our grading policy.  
Please view how to run a grade report, progress report, and no show report. You can also review the calendars  to see when the reports will be posted in the registration system.

NCWise/Power School

Most of the time HQ errors are due to a data input error or a spreadsheet sorting error on the school's end. Please confirm that the correct UIS has been used. In addition, sometimes a school will misread our spreadsheet and enter the wrong teacher for a course. If you accidentally enter the Latin teacher's data for an Algebra course, it will naturally come back as non-HQ. If you confirm the data entry is correct and there’s still a problem, submit a ticket to the Virtual Support Center here: http://www.help.ncvps.org/

Funding Formula

When you log in to the registration system, you will see your allotment totals and remaining allotments at the top right of the screen.
Your district office will need to request access to our reserve funds with this form. The form must be completed by the district office or charter school principal.