If a student with an IEP or 504 plan is enrolled in a North Carolina Virtual Public School (NCVPS) online course, it is the responsibility of the local school system to ensure the school system meets all requirements of the Individuals with Disabilities Education (IEP) Act and Section 504. NCVPS will follow all modifications and accommodations documented on the IEP or 504 plan as appropriate. There are some instances in which accommodations listed in the IEP or 504 plan are not conducive to the online environment and may not be provided. In this case, the local school system will be responsible for providing such accommodations in order to help the student to be successful in the online course.
When a student enrolls in a NCVPS course, the accommodations or modifications from the IEP or 504 plan are shared via a phone conference between the local school district liaison and the NCVPS Virtual Teacher for the course. No IEP or 504 plans are shared via email. NCVPS and the school system must discuss the accommodations and modifications in the student’s IEP or 504 plan each semester the student enrolls in a NCVPS course. Click on the appropriate link to read more information regarding the NCVPS IEP/504 Guidelines.
NCVPS has a variety of interventions and supports implemented in the courses to enable students with an IEP or 504 plan to experience successful learning. Examples of interventions and supports include:
- One-on-one access to the teacher,
- Monitoring of individual student progress by teacher, school district designee, and parent,
- Individualized feedback for all student work,
- Opportunities for differentiated/personalized instruction based on a variety of learning styles and the Universal Design for Learning Model, and
- Access to tutor through the Peer Tutoring Center
*If you have any questions regarding Special Education and/or 504 services, please contact Dr. Mary Keel, NCVPS Exceptional Children’s Director, at email@example.com or 252-725-2570 .
- Canvas Parent App & Web Portal
- Culture Café
- Getting Started for Students
- Home School & Private Schools
- How to Register
- NCVPS Courses – An Inside Look
- NCVPS Super Student Awards
- Peer Tutoring Center
- Special Education/504 Services
- Student Course Login
- Student/Parent Handbook
- Summer School Guide
- Virtual Support Center