District & School FAQs

culture cafe

Welcome to our Frequently Asked Questions page for schools and districts!

E-learning advisors, data managers, district coordinators, and administrators can all find answers to their questions here.  If you can’t find the answer you are looking for, contact our Virtual Support Center.  Just click on “Open a New Ticket” and include all the important details in your question.

Access Questions

My password to the registration system does't work. How do I get it reset?

Your district coordinator can reset or create your password.  If you are the district coordinator, follow these instructions to reset. If you need additional help, we can only reset passwords requested from users identified in our registration system using the email address they have on file.  If you are a new ELA, please complete a help ticket with the following information: 1) School Phone Number 2) School Email Address 3) Current Position at the School Submit that information to the Virtual Support Center.

My student can't access his/her course. What should we do?

Passwords will not work until the first day of class for both early calendar and traditional calendar courses. If the student’s password does not work on the first day of class, follow these steps: 1) Confirm that the student is enrolled and not waitlisted. 2) If the student is recently enrolled, remember that passwords will not work for 24 hours. 3) If the student is confirmed enrolled and it has been at least 24 hours since enrollment, then have the student submit an online ticket with our Virtual Support Center   Click on “Open a New Ticket.”  The student or the E-learning Advisor can submit this ticket.  If you complete the ticket for the student, be sure to include the student’s name, school, Wise number, email address, and course that can’t be accessed. 4) If a student’s password stops working anytime during the semester, have the student submit an online ticket with the Virtual Support Center.

Student Support

I have a student who is struggling with their class. What can I do to help?

We have some really great intervention strategies that may help you with your struggling student.

What resources outside of classroom resources do you have for students?

Thank you for helping to provide students with every resource. We’ve compiled a list of student resources that can help. The resources include:

  • Assistive Technologies for Exceptional Children
  • Attendance Policy
  • Characteristics of a Successful Online Learner
  • Peer Tutoring
  • Student Conduct

I have enrolled a student. Where do they start?

NCVPS offers a document entitled, Getting Started Checklist for Students. This document provides the general “getting started” information for our students to get a successful start and remain strong in their course throughout the semester. The checklist takes students through everything they must do to get started and be successful in the course. Have your student also visit our “Getting Started as an NC Virtual Student” webpage.

How do I get my students involved in Peer Tutoring?

Refer your student to the Peer Tutoring Blog for information about volunteering as a Peer Tutor or getting support from a Peer Tutor.


What are the responsibilities of your teachers?

Visit our Teach for NCVPS page. Scroll down to see the list of teacher responsibilities.

What should we do when we do not hear back from a teacher?

Please submit a ticket to our Virtual Support Center. Be sure to include the student’s name, the course title, and the teacher’s name.

We don't believe a student's IEP modifications are being met. How can we resolve this?

Please submit a ticket to our Virtual Support Center. Be sure to include the student’s name, the course title, and the teacher’s name.

What does teaching and learning look like with NC Virtual?

We have a webpage devoted to the teaching and learning process at NC Virtual. Please check it out!


Do you have directions for district access to the registration system?

The following short video gives an overview of district-level access to the NCVPS Registration System.

How do I enroll in the registration system? Do you have a user's guide?

We have a number of printable guides for your convenience. Watch our NCVPS Registration Video for details on enrolling.

If you are enrolling students into our OCS courses, see our OCS Program page before enrolling. Our OCS Registration Video will guide you through the process.

If you are enrolling students into our Intervention Co-Teaching courses, see our Intervention Co-Teaching Program page that gives details on the program and enrollment process. Also, watch the Intervention Co-Teaching Video.

We accidentally dropped a student. How can we reinstate him/her?

A reinstatement is usually not a problem, but our registrar needs to be involved to make sure student work is not lost or further access interruption doesn’t result. Please submit a ticket to our Virtual Support Center to reinstate a dropped student. Be sure to include the student’s name, Wise number, school, and course to be reinstated in.

How do I edit my contact information in the registration system?

How do I see my list of enrolled students?

You can see a list of your students taking courses by downloading an enrollment report. Here is a link that shows how to run an enrollment report. This video link explains the enrollment report.

We are an early calendar school, but can't access early calendar courses to register students. What should we do?

Submit that request to the Virtual Support Center.


What courses do you offer?

All courses are listed on our Catalog page.

What is the difference between early calendar and traditional calendar courses?

Courses marked as Early Calendar are intended to be taken by students on an Early Calendar schedule at the local school.  Schools on this schedule can be early college high schools or school districts with a schedule waiver (usually western counties that have a large number of snow days) that begin the academic year in early August. Traditional Calendar courses are for all other schools and districts that operate on a traditional school schedule beginning in late August.

Where can I find the course codes?

NCVPS Course codes are included in the registration system and are in the course catalogs.

Where can I find a description of NC Virtual courses?

Course descriptions can be found on our Course Descriptions Quick Reference Guide.

How does OCS work?

Our Occupational Course of Study (OCS) team has put together a great resource with a lot of information on how OCS works.  You can find that information along with contact information for our OCS team on our OCS Blended Learning page.

My student doesn't see the German class when he/she logs in. Where would we find it?

German classes are taught externally by Oklahoma State University (OSU) and are not available in the NCVPS learning management system.  The student(s) should have received an email from OSU with access information at the email address given in the registration system.  Please have student(s) check their email for that access information.  You can also contact OSU directly at:  1-800-423-6493 or german.online@okstate.edu  and let them know your NCVPS student can not gain access to their course.

General Knowledge

When do your classes start?

Summer courses begin in June, fall courses in August and spring courses in January. Specific dates can be found by visiting our calendar webpage.

What steps do I need to take during the semester as an ELA?

Please check out our School and District Checklist. This document walks you step-by-step through the entire semester.

What are the roles and responsibilities of the school and the district?

School district roles and responsibilities are posted in this Quick Reference Guide. 

How do I get started as an ELA?

The first thing you should do is review the Getting Started Guide. Contact the Virtual Support Center for more getting started help.

What do I do if I can't get an answer to my question?

Make sure you understand who is responsible for answering which questions
Your ELA can help with the following:

  • Register you to take an NCVPS online course(s)
  • Drop or withdraw you from a course(s)
  • Inform you of dates for EOCs and VOCATS testing
  • Help you contact your instructor

Your instructor can help with the following:

  • Answers questions about the content in the course
  • Help arrange tutoring in our peer tutoring program
  • Resets tests and quizzes
  • Fixes dead links
  • Answers questions about grades

The NCVPS Virtual Support Center can do the following:

  • Fixes glitches and technical problems in your course
  • Resets usernames and passwords
  • Assists in how to perform a task in Blackboard or Moodle, for example, post to a discussion forum.
  • Help you contact your instructor

What are the technology requirements?


What do we do when a student disputes a grade?

If you’ve not contacted the teacher, please do that first. If you still need help, you can also submit a ticket to the Virtual Support Center. Be sure to include as many details as possible in your ticket.

What should we do if student grades are missing from the grade report?

Check these items first: 1) OCS and credit recovery courses will not report grades. “NULL” will be displayed in the grade column. Everything for credit recovery will be in the comments section, including PASS or FAIL at the end of the term for credit recovery. 2) Students who have been dropped or withdrawn will have NULL grades. 3) We have separate grade reports for early calendar courses and traditional calendar courses. Be sure you have the correct report. If you are still missing grades, submit a ticket to the Virtual Support Center.

How are grades calculated and what is your grading scale?

We have a Quick Reference Guide (QRG) that gives a good overview of our grading policy.  

How do I find my student's grades?

Please view how to run a grade report, progress report, and no show report. You can also review the calendars to see when the reports will be posted in the registration system.

How do I run a grade report, no-show report or admin drop report?


How do we manage NC Virtual classes in PowerSchool?

We have an HQ error on our SAR report from one of your teachers. What should we do?

Most of the time HQ errors are due to a data input error or a spreadsheet sorting error on the school’s end. Please confirm that the correct UIS has been used. In addition, sometimes a school will misread our spreadsheet and enter the wrong teacher for a course. If you accidentally enter the Latin teacher’s data for an Algebra course, it will naturally come back as non-HQ. If you confirm the data entry is correct and there’s still a problem, submit a ticket to the Virtual Support Center.

How do we get your teachers' SSNs for our Data Manager's SAR report?

For NCVPS teachers, you will use PowerSchool’s UID instead of SSNS. Please view this basic information about VTINs and SAR data for NCVPS teachers.

I can't attach a file to submit an assignment in Canvas. It says Error: File invalid?

The following are directions on how to troubleshoot attaching a file: Make sure the file was saved properly with a valid extension that is compatible with Canvas. i.e. Wrong= “assignment.doc.docx”, Correct = “assignment.doc” or “assignment.docx”

If you continue to have problems, contact your instructor or the Virtual Support Center

Funding Formula

Where can I find information about the funding formula?

Where can I view my allotment totals and how much money we have left?

When you log in to the registration system, you will see your allotment totals and remaining allotments at the top right of the screen.

What can we do when we run out of our allotment? Can we continue to register?

Your district office will need to request access to our reserve funds. The form must be completed by the district office or charter school principal.